Source : http://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/sweet-potato-aloo-gob
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) of butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of whole cumin seeds
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) curry powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) of ground cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- a sprinkle or two sea salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) of water
- 1 cup (250 mL) of frozen peas
1 bunch of cilantro, leaves and tender stems chopped
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and gently fry them for a minute or two to heat them through, remove any shelf staleness and brighten their flavour.
- Add the onions and sauté until they soften.
- Add the curry powder and cinnamon and stir well for another minute or so. The direct heat of the sauté dramatically brightens the flavours of the spices.
- Add the sweet potato chunks and cauliflower florets and stir or toss well to coat them with the spices.
- Season with salt, add a splash or two of water, cover with a tight-fitting lid and lower the heat. Continue cooking until the sweet potatoes are tender, another 20 minutes or so.
- Just before serving, stir in the peas and
cilantro, quickly heating them through.