- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose or cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger or minced ginger
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- Preheat the oven to 400 and lightly grease 18 muffin cups or use paper liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a handheld or stand mixer until light and fluffy and almost white in color.
- Scrape down the bowl to make sure all the butter in incorporated, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and sour cream and mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until the batter is smooth.
- Add shredded carrots, crystallized or minced ginger and raisins to the batter before baking.
- Fill muffin cups and bake for
18 to 2419 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove them from the oven, cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan to finish cooling on a rack. (Muffins left in the pan to cool will become tough from steaming.)