- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (425 ml)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (2 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (1 ml)
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 3/4 cups 2 % milk, at room temperature (425 ml)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (60 ml)
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar (30 ml)
- 2 cups wild blueberries (fresh or frozen) (500 ml)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (75 ml)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh purple basil, optional (15 ml)
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Stir in the lemon zest. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter and the egg yolks until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the wet until just combined. Do not continue to stir. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand covered, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a clean, dry bowl whisk the egg whites until fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar while continuing to beat until whites hold soft peaks. Fold gently into batter.
- Ladle batter into prepared waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Combine blueberries, maple syrup and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and cook gently over low heat, mashing blueberries slightly, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in basil. Serve warm over waffles.