Yield: 4 cups
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped in 1/4-inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 (28-ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- Salt, to taste
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft.
- Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal.
- Season with salt and serve.
- This sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.