Source: Mimi Hiller, California, USA, rec.cooking.com
- 2 (1) teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole roasting chicken, about 3 pounds
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Combine all spices (first 8 ingredients) in small bowl.
- Rinse chicken, inside and out. Drain well.
- Rub spice mixture over skin and the inside of chicken.
- Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to roast, stuff cavity with onions.
- Place chicken breast side down in roasting pan.
- Roast uncovered at 250ºF (That:s not a typo… it’s really 250ºF! Anything over 225ºF is safe as long as the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 155º, which this does, and more) for about 5 hours. Baste occasionally with pan juices or until pan juices start to caramelize on bottom of pan and chicken is golden brown.