Note:Je fais cuire les boulettes au four à 400 F sur une tôle à biscuits pendant environ 15 minutes.
1/2(1) pound veal shoulder, finely ground in a meat grinder (veau haché)
- 1 cup
plus 2 tablespoonsricotta cheese, drained for 1 hour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- A few gratings nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 2 cups basic tomato sauce
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the veal, cheese, egg, Parmigiano, nutmeg, salt and pepper. When the mixture is well-blended, shape it into several balls 1-inch diameter. Lightly dust each ball with flour.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet with fairly high sides, heat the oil over high heat until just smoking. Add the balls, a few at a time, and cook until the are uniformly golden brown. Remove with a spider or slotted spoon ans keep warm while the remaining meatballs are cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the tomato sauce over high heat until it begins to bubble. Keep hot while the meatballs cook.
- Serve the meatballs in the hot sauce, with the basil leaves sprinkled over as garnish.