- Je coupe les poivrons en 2 et je les fais griller au four avant de les farcir.
- Comme d’habitude, une bonne huile d’olive en garniture avant de servir.
- 3 bell peppers,
preferably 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 green(red)
- 1 recipe Stuffing
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated Percorino Romano cheese (ou parmesan)
- 2 tablespoons Italian Bread Crumbs
Ingredients for sausage stuffing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces
hotItalian sausage, out of the casing (saucisse italienne douce)
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 (14 1/2- ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese (ou parmesan)
- Pour the oil into a nonstick saute pan set on medium heat and brown the sausage for 3 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Discard all but 3 tablespoons of the fat left in the saute pan. On medium heat, cook the onion for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, reduce the heat to low anc cook for 5 minutes. Increase the heat ot high, add the sliced muchrooms and bay leaf, stir well and cook 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until it has almost evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juices separately. Roughly chop the tomatoes and add them to the saute pan. Reduce the heat to medium and cook 2 minutes. Add the
parsley, basil, reserved tomato juices and sausage, stir well, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture should be fairly thick and almost dry. If it is very watery, cook for 3 minutes more. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked sausage, the eggs, bread crumbs and cheese and mix well. The stuffing should be very thick and fairly moist. If it is still watery, add more cheese and bread crumbs to your taste.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- With a sharp knife, cut the peppers in half lengthwise and clean out the seeds. Stuff the peppers with your choice of stuffing.
- Place in a baking dish side-by-side. Pour the stock and tomatoe sauce into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top of the stuffed peppers with the cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake until the peppers are soft, about 35-40 minutes. Serve warm. This dish tastes even better when you reheat it the next day.