Note: Très bon avec le glaçage fudge épais.
Yield: Two 9-inch or three 8-inch rounds, or a 13 x 9-inch sheet cake.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces) soft unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups (12 1/4 ounces)
Baker’s Special sugaror granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup (2 ounces) Dutch-process cocoa
21 1/2 teaspoons baking powdersoda
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) milk or water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans, three 8-inch round pans, or a 13 x 9-inch sheet cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and salt till fluffy and light, beating for at least 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and baking
powder(soda). If lumps remain, sift the mixture.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix together the milk or water and the vanilla.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, then add half the milk, another third of the flour, the remaining milk, and the remaining flour. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl occasionally throughout this process.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake the cake(s) in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes (a bit longer for the sheet cake), until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove the cake(s) from the oven, cool them for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove them from their pans (leave the sheet cake in the pan, for easiest serving). Cool completely before frosting.