Note: The addition of rum to these spicy cookies helps keep them soft.
Yield : eighteen 3-inch cookies.
- 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons (2 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 cup (6 ounces) molasses
- 1/3 cup (2 1/2 ounces) dark rum
- Whisk together the flour, spices, salt and baking soda, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar, then beat in the molasses.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the rum.
- Using a cookie or muffin scoop, scoop out round balls of dough somewhere in size between a ping-pong ball and a golf ball, and place the balls on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated 375°F oven for 11 to 12 minutes, until they crack on top but haven’t yet browned around the edges.