Note : Préparer les boulettes en premier. La soupe prend environ 1 heure à cuire.
2 hamburger rollsor 42 slices white bread 2/31/3 cup milk 11/2 large egg 1 1/41/2 teaspoons salt 1 1/23/4 pounds ground beef or meatloaf mix 11/2 medium onion, grated or very finely diced 32 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese 11/2 teaspoon garlic powder 11/2 teaspoon dried parsley
21 tablespoons olive oil 21 medium onions, diced; about 2 cups 21 cups finely diced carrots, about 3 large carrots 21 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced 4 to 4 1/2 quarts( 16 to 188 à 10 cups) chicken broth, homemade or purchased 1 1/23/4 teaspoons dried Italian herbs or 3/4 teaspoon each dried oregano and dried basil 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach1 poignée d’épinards frais hachés 11/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
to 1teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, to taste 2 2/31 1/3 cups uncooked orzo, ditalini, or other small, roundish pasta
- To make the meatballs, combine the bread, egg, milk, and salt, stirring till everything is well moistened. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes to soften.
- Add the ground meat, onion, cheese, and herbs. Mix gently till thoroughly combined.
- Shape tiny meatballs, (about 1″ diameter or less). Using a level teaspoon scoop (which volume-wise is actually 2 level measuring teaspoons) makes about the right size. Place the meatballs on a parchment-lined or lightly greased cookie sheet, and refrigerate them while you prepare the soup.
- Get out a large pot, at least 6-quart capacity. Pour the olive oil into the bottom of the pot, and add the onions and carrots. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the broth and herbs, bring to a simmer, and cook gently for 10 minutes.
Add the frozen chopped spinach, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, total; the soup will take awhile to come back to a simmer, due to the frozen spinach. Help it along by breaking it up with a fork as it cooks.
- Gently drop the meatballs into the soup. Simmer the soup for 30 minutes or so, then stir in the pasta, cooking till it’s al dente. For orzo, this will take about 8 minutes or so.
- Ajouter les épinards frais hachés, laisser cuire 1 à 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste;
using reduced-salt canned chicken broth, we added 1 teaspoon salt; and 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper.
- Serve the soup garnished with freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese.