Source : Livre The essentiel cookie cookbook, The King Arthur Company
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Lightly grease a 9 X 13-inch pan.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a medium saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly, just until it’s hot (110 F to 120 F), but not bubbling; it will become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
- Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla.
- Whisk in the eggs, stirring until smooth, then add the flour and nuts and chips, again stirring until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 29 to 32 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a tiny amount of crumb clinging to it. The edges of the brownies should be set, but the center still soft.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and cool on a rack before cutting and serving.